Monday, October 25, 2010

Why, oh why...

I finally understand why some show coordinators throw their hands up in disgust and quit coordinating shows. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get an entire group of models to follow through on their commitments, as I learned today.

I held a casting for a show to be held on Saturday. I gave the show date and time, the date and time of two ... count them ... TWO mandatory rehearsals and one optional before the actual show date. I told the models don't cast for it if you can't do these times and dates. I told the models if you don't show up for the first rehearsal you'll be replaced because I don't want to have to waste the time of the models who DO show up having to teach you the walk and go over things they've all already heard. I asked for 12 models, total. I got 10.

OK, so all ten are in the show - 8 walking, 2 prop models. That's fine. I can do it with 10. So I tell them all they're in the show, remind them of the schedule, work my butt off getting the set built, and today is the first mandatory rehearsal. FOUR models showed up. Three of them sent me notecards with various reasons why they couldn't be there, but where are the other three??? I send out another notice saying we're rehearsing NOW and get your butt over here. No response except from one model who tells me she can't do the show. OK, fine. I quickly send another notice asking for another model, and I get one. She can be there for the next rehearsal. OK, I'll take the time to go to the runway and teach her before everyone else comes to the next rehearsal so we don't have to make everyone else wait around. That leaves two unaccounted for. Two who didn't show up, weren't online, never said a word to me, and now have to be replaced. By whom, I don't know, but it's looking like my 10 models are now down to 8, leaving me with no prop models, which I need for the set to look right.

This is my first show as a coordinator. I figured with no designer, and models able to choose their own outfits and have fun with the styling - it is, after all, a Halloween show - there'd be smooth sailing. Wrong!!! But hey, I can do this. I'll find a way to pull it off, somehow, even if we have to do it with 6 models. The ones who did show up know the walk, can do it well, have mad styling skills, and from what I've seen so far, their outfits are gonna knock people's socks off.

I'm thinking by the time we get to the next show, these models are going to think I'm the most evil, bitchy person in the world. I'm not, really. I just expect people to follow through on their commitments, and I don't have the time or the patience for people who can't or won't do that. I'm pretty straight forward that way. I tell them what I need and expect from them and either they can do it or they can't, but if they can't, they shouldn't be telling me they can. Mama don't play that game.

No comments:

Post a Comment